How to create and invite into a group
Web at Desktop
You can create a WhatsApp group with up to 256 participants.
Create a group
- Go to the Chats tab in WhatsApp.
- Tap New Chat> New Group.
- If you have an existing chat on the Chats tab, tap New Group.
- Search for or select contacts to add to the group. Then, tap Next.
- Enter a group subject. This will be the name of the group that all participants will see.
- The subject limit is 25 characters.
- You can add a group icon by tapping the Camera icon. You can choose Take Photo, Choose Photo, or Search Web to add an image. Once set, the icon will appear next to the group in the Chats tab.
- Tap Create when you're finished.
Invite into groups via links
If you're a group admin, you can invite people to join a group by sharing a link with them. The admin can Reset link at any time to make the previous invite link invalid and create a new link.
- Open the WhatsApp group chat, then tap the group subject.
- Alternatively, swipe the group to the left in the Chats tab. Then, tap More > Group Info.
- Tap Invite to Group via Link.
- Choose Share Link, Copy Link, or QR Code.
- To reset the link, tap Reset Link > Reset Link.
- Any WhatsApp user you share an invite link with can join the group, so only use this feature with trusted individuals. It’s possible for someone to forward the link to other people, who could then join the group without additional approval from the group admin.
- We’re gradually increasing group sizes over the coming months and there might be a delay in accessing this feature.