How to create and invite into a group
You can create a WhatsApp group with up to 1024 participants.
Create a group
- Go to the Chats tab in WhatsApp.
- Tap New Chat > New Group.
- If you have an existing chat on the Chats tab, tap New Group.
- Search for or select contacts to add to the group. Then, tap Next.
- If your contact doesn’t have a WhatsApp account, you can choose to send them an invite link via SMS.
- Enter a group subject. This will be the name of the group that all participants will see.
- The subject limit is 100 characters.
- You can add a group icon by tapping the Camera icon. You can choose Take Photo, Choose Photo, Emoji & Stickers, or Search Web to add an image. Once set, the icon will appear next to the group in the Chats tab.
- Tap Create when you're finished.
Note: If a group subject isn’t added, the group name will be a list of the users in the group.
Invite into groups via links or QR code
If you're a group admin, you can invite people to join a group by sharing a link or QR code with them. The admin can always Reset link to make the previous invite link invalid and create a new link.
- Open the WhatsApp group chat, then tap the group subject.
- Alternatively, swipe the group to the left in the Chats tab. Then, tap More > Group Info.
- Tap Invite to Group via Link.
- Choose Send Link Via WhatsApp, Share Link, Copy Link, or QR Code.
- To reset the link, tap Reset Link > Reset Link.
Admins can also change group settings to allow all participants to add others to group chats.
Note: Any WhatsApp user you share an invite link with can join the group. Only use this feature with people you trust. Anyone who was forwarded the link can join the group without additional approval from the group admin.