How to create and invite into a group
You can create a WhatsApp group with up to 256 participants.
Create a group
- Click Menuabove your chats list in WhatsApp.
- Alternatively, click the New chat icon.
- Click New group.
- Search for or select contacts to add to the group. Then click Next.
- Enter a group subject. This will be the name of the group that all participants will see.
- The subject limit is 25 characters.
- You can add emoji to your subject by clicking the Emoji icon.
- You can add a group icon by clicking Add group icon. Choose an image file and click Open. Once set, the icon will appear next to the group in your chats list.
- Click Create when you're finished.
Invite into groups via links
If you're a group admin, you can invite people to join a group by sharing a link with them. The admin can revoke the link at any time to make the previous invite link invalid and create a new link.
- Open the WhatsApp group chat, then click the group subject.
- Click Participants > Invite to group via link.
- Click Copy link.
- To revoke the current invite link and create a new invite link, click Revoke link > Revoke link.
- Any WhatsApp user you share an invite link with can join the group, so only use this feature with trusted individuals. It's possible for someone to forward the link to other people. If so, those other people can also join the group and the group admin won't be asked to approve those people before they join.