How to share a channel update
Web and Desktop
Note: WhatsApp Channels has begun rolling out but isn’t available to everyone yet.
Join the waitlist to be notified when WhatsApp Channels is available to you.
Where Channels is available, we’re rolling out new features gradually. Some features, like being able to create a channel, might not be available to you yet.
Sharing updates through your channel is similar to how you might already use WhatsApp to send messages to your friends and family, but there are key differences.
Updates appear in a separate tab of the app, away from your personal chats and calls. While some features might feel familiar to WhatsApp chats, channel updates are a one-way broadcast rather than a conversation. Updates are always shared from your channel, and followers won’t see your name or phone number.
Most importantly, channels are not end-to-end encrypted.
Your updates are public
Remember, anything you share is public and will be visible to:
- All followers - Followers can see all channel updates shared since the beginning.
- People who don’t follow your channel - Anyone can see 30 days worth of update history on your channel.
- WhatsApp - channel updates are reviewed against the Channels Guidelines.
To keep followers engaged, when creating updates we recommend:
- Keeping written updates short, to the point, and focused on a specific topic.
- Providing information that is helpful like tips and tricks, time saving hacks or the latest how-to’s.
- Sharing information that is timely and up to date.
You’re responsible for keeping the content on your channel safe, relevant, and appropriate for your followers, learn more in the Channels Guidelines.
To use WhatsApp Web to manage your channel, you’ll have to first link the device you use for channels.
How to share updates
Share written notes to your followers
- From the Channels page, click your channel to open it.
- Compose a written update. You can add:
- Formatting: You can add formatting like underline, bolding or strikethrough.
- Emojis: Click to open the emoji selection menu in WhatsApp.
- Links: Add a link to your update, and it’ll appear with a preview of the content and an image when available.
- When your update is ready, click .
Share images and videos
- Share media like images or videos by clicking .
- Choose what you’d like to share:
- Camera to take a picture or video with your computer's camera.
- Photos & Videos to select an existing photo or video from your computer. You can select multiple images at one time.
- If you’ve added photos or videos:
- Edit them: Learn how to edit your photos and videos before sharing.
- Add captions: You can also add captions to photos and videos. Click the photo you want to add captions to each one.
- Click .
Keep in mind, followers will be able to save any media you share to their phone.