How to create and invite into a group
Web at Desktop
You can create a WhatsApp group with up to 256 participants.
Create a group
- Click Menu (or) above your chats list in WhatsApp.
- Alternatively, click the New chat icon.
- Click New group.
- Search for or select contacts to add to the group. Then click the green arrow icon.
- Enter a group subject. This will be the name of the group that all participants will see.
- The subject limit is 25 characters.
- You can add emoji to your subject by clicking the Emoji icon.
- You can add a group icon by clicking ADD GROUP ICON. You can choose to Take photo, Upload photo, or do a Web Search to add an image. Once set, the icon will appear next to the group in your chats list.
- Note: Web Search is not currently available for WhatsApp Web.
- Click the green check mark icon when you're finished.
Invite into groups via links
If you're a group admin, you can invite people to join a group by sharing a link with them. The admin can Reset link at any time to make the previous invite link invalid and create a new link.
- Open the WhatsApp group chat, then click the group subject.
- Alternatively, click Menu (or) in the top corner > Group info.
- Alternatively, click Menu (
- Click Invite to group via link.
- Choose to Send link via WhatsApp or Copy link.
- If sending through WhatsApp, search for or select contacts, then click Send.
- To reset the link, click Reset link > RESET LINK.
- Any WhatsApp user you share an invite link with can join the group, so only use this feature with trusted individuals. It's possible for someone to forward the link to other people. If so, those other people can also join the group and the group admin won't be asked to approve those people before they join.
- We’re gradually increasing group sizes over the coming months and there might be a delay in accessing this feature.