About supported devices
We support iOS 12 or newer, but we recommend using the latest version available.
For more information about how we choose which operating systems to support and what happens if yours will no longer be supported, read the article here.
For the best experience using WhatsApp on iOS:
- Use the latest iOS version: We recommend you use the latest version of iOS available for your phone. Please visit the Apple Support website to learn how to update your iPhone's software.
- Don’t use jailbroken or unlocked devices: We don't explicitly restrict the use of jailbroken or unlocked devices. However, because these modifications might affect the functionality of your device, we can't provide support for devices using modified versions of the iPhone's operating system.
- Your phone must have SMS or call capability: To properly set up a new WhatsApp account, your phone must be able to receive SMS or calls during the verification process. We don’t support setting up new accounts on WiFi only devices.
To keep up with the latest advances in tech, we routinely stop supporting older operating systems to point our resources to supporting the latest ones.
If we stop supporting your operating system, you’ll be notified and reminded a few times to upgrade your device to continue using WhatsApp. We’ll also update this page regularly to ensure that the latest iOS version we support is listed here.
- About supported operating systems
- About supported Android devices