How to make a group video call
Group calling allows participants to video call with each other using WhatsApp. When you receive a group video call, the incoming WhatsApp group video call screen will show the participants on the call, and the first contact listed will be the participant that added you. Group video call history will appear in the CALLS tab. You can tap the call history to view the individual participants from the call. You can also join missed calls if they’re still ongoing.
Make a group video call
Make a group video call from a group chat
- Open the WhatsApp group chat you want to video call.
- If your group chat has 32 or fewer participants, tap Video calland confirm your decision.
Note: If there are more than 32, tap Group call
and select up to 32 people to join your video call. Then tap Video call
Make a group video call from the CALLS tab
- Open WhatsApp, then tap the CALLS tab.
- Tap New call> New group call.
- Find the contacts you want to add to the call, then tap Video call.
Make a group video call from an individual chat
- Open the WhatsApp chat with one of the contacts you want to video call.
- Tap Video call.
- Once the contact accepts the call, tap Open> Add participant.
- Find another contact you want to add to the call, then tap ADD.
- Tap Add participant if you want to add more contacts.
Join a group video call
Join an incoming group video call
- You’ll receive a notification when someone invites you to join a group video call.
- To open the call info screen, tap Join.
Note: If you aren't ready to join yet, tap Ignore.
- From the call menu, you can preview the call participants and other invitees.
- Tap Join to join the call.
- While on the call, tap Opento open the call info screen.
- Tap Add participant to add more contacts to the call.
- Tap RING to send a notification to people who’ve already been invited.
Join a missed group video call through the CALLS tab
- If the call is ongoing, tap the call you’d like to join. This will open the call info screen.
- From the call menu, tap Join.
Join a missed group video call through a group chat
If the call was started from a group chat, you can join by opening that chat and tapping Join.
Mute someone else
You can mute other participants in a group call. To do so, tap and hold on the participant’s name. Then press Mute. The participant can unmute themself at any time by tapping the microphone icon. You can message a participant directly on a group call by tapping and holding their tile.
- Only 8 participants can be active on a video call at one time.
- Make sure you and your contacts have strong internet connections when placing or receiving group video calls. The quality of the video call will depend on the contact with the weakest connection.
- During a group video call, you can turn your video off by tapping Video off.
- You can't remove a contact during a group video call. The contact would need to hang up their phone to disconnect from the call.
- You can be in a group video call with someone you've blocked. However, you can't add a contact that you've blocked to the call or a contact that has blocked you.
- Video calling is only available on Android phones running 4.1 or newer.