How to transfer your chat history
If you're moving from an Android phone to another Android phone, you can transfer your full chat and media history using WhatsApp's Chat Transfer feature.
While restoring from a backup can recover all of your chat data, the Chat Transfer feature allows you to transfer your full account information including all of your personal messages, photos, videos, documents, etc. However, you can’t transfer peer-to-peer payment messages and your call history.
What you need
- Android 6 or above is installed on both your old and new Android phones.
- Both phones support Wi-Fi Direct.
- Use the same phone number as your old phone on your new phone.
- Your new phone must not be registered on WhatsApp until you start the migration on your old phone.
- Your phones must be close to each other.
- Both phones should be connected to a power source and the internet.
- Both phones need to have Wi-Fi and location enabled.
- Certain device permissions are required to initiate the transfer. Permission to access your precise location is needed. WhatsApp will not save this information.
Transfer your chat history
- Download and then open WhatsApp on your new phone. Go through the setup.
- Tap Accept terms and conditions > Verify your phone number.
- After searching for a backup, select Transfer from the old device from the options.
- Tap START on Transfer chat history from old phone.
- Accept requested permissions and then you’ll see a QR code.
- On your old phone scan the QR code shown on your new phone from the phone’s camera app.
- Accept the invitation to connect on your new phone to link your new phone to your old phone.
- While your chat history is transferring, a percentage bar will track the progress. Keep both phones unlocked and don’t leave WhatsApp. Messaging is paused during the chat history transfer. You can CANCEL the process at any time.
- Once the import is complete, tap DONE.
What happens to my data
- Transferred data doesn't go to cloud storage as a result of the migration until you create a Google Drive backup.
- WhatsApp can't see the data you transfer.
- Your old Android phone will still have your data on it unless you delete WhatsApp or reset your old phone.