How to change your privacy settings
By default, WhatsApp sets your privacy settings to allow:
- Any user to see your profile photo, about information, and read receipts
- Your contacts to see your status updates
- Any users to add you to groups
Note: Users you’ve saved as a contact or who you’ve messaged before may be able to see your last seen and online.
Change privacy settings
- Android: Tap More options> Settings > Account > Privacy.
- iPhone: Tap Settings > Privacy.
- KaiOS: Press Options > Settings > Account > Privacy.
- Desktop: Click Menu> Settings > Privacy.
- Android: Tap More options
- You can change who can:
- See your Last Seen and Online
- See your Profile Photo
- See your About information
- See your Status updates
- See Read Receipts
- Add you to Groups
- If you don't share your last seen or online, you won't be able to see other users’ last seen or online.
- If you turn off read receipts, you won't be able to see read receipts from other users. Read receipts are always sent for group chats.
- If a contact has turned off read receipts, you won’t be able to see if they’ve viewed your status updates.
- People online in a chat thread with you can see when you’re typing.