How to make a video call
Web at Desktop
Video calling lets you video call your contacts using WhatsApp.
Make a video call
- Open the WhatsApp chat with the contact you want to video call.
- Tap Video call.
Alternatively, open WhatsApp, then tap the CALLS tab > New call
. Find the contact you want to video call, then tap Video call
Receive a video call
If your phone is locked, you'll see an incoming WhatsApp video call screen when someone video calls you, where you can:
- Swipe up to accept.
- Swipe up to decline.
- Swipe up to replyto decline the call with a quick message.
If your phone is unlocked, you’ll see an Incoming video call pop-up when someone video calls you, where you can tap Decline or Answer.
Switching between video and voice calls
Switch from a video call to a voice call
- While on the video call, tap Video off, which will notify the contact you're video calling.
- Once the contact turns their video off, the call will be switched to a voice call.
Switch from a voice call to a video call
- While on the voice call, tap Video call> SWITCH.
- The contact you're voice calling will see a request to switch to a video call and can accept or decline the switch.
- Make sure you and your contacts have strong internet connections when placing or receiving group video calls.
- Video calling is only available on Android phones running 4.1 or newer.