About WhatsApp permissions
When you first use features in WhatsApp, WhatsApp may require access to information or applications from your iPhone. Turning permissions off might cause WhatsApp to lose certain functionality.
If you've already installed WhatsApp, you can control the permissions the app uses in your phone's settings. You can check your iPhone’s access settings with these steps:
- In iPhone Settings, scroll down and tap WhatsApp.
- Under ALLOW WHATSAPP TO ACCESS, enable access to permissions. You can also choose to limit access to individual permissions.
Photo and video permissions
In order to use your photos and videos on WhatsApp, you’ll need to give the app permission to access your photos. If you declined permission to use photos, you'll see this alert:
- "WhatsApp does not have access to your photos or videos. To enable access, tap Settings and turn on Photos."
You can grant permission by changing your iPhone's privacy settings.
- Go to iPhone Settings> Privacy.
- Tap Photos > WhatsApp > Read and Write.
Open WhatsApp, and you should now be able to use your existing iPhone Photos with WhatsApp.
If WhatsApp is grayed out or doesn't appear in privacy settings
Ensure that you don't have any restrictions set in iPhone Settings > Screen Time. Otherwise, you might need to backup and restore your phone.