About changing phones
You can either move to the same type of phone, such as Android to Android, or move to a different type of phone, such as iPhone to Android.
Note: You might receive a notification on your old phone to confirm that it is you trying to change devices. In this case, simply confirm you’re moving WhatsApp to your new phone.
Move to the same type of phone
If you're moving to the same type of phone, make sure your chats are backed up before restoring them on your new phone. Learn how to back up and restore your chat history in this article.
Move to a different type of phone
If you’re moving to a different type of phone:
- You’ll keep your account information including your profile photo, about, individual chats, group chats, and settings.
- Transferring your chat history cross platform is currently available when moving from an iPhone to an Android device or an Android device to an iPhone. Learn how to migrate from an iPhone to an Android device in this article. Learn how to migrate from an Android device to an iPhone in this article.
Keep your phone number
Download WhatsApp on your new phone to re-register your phone number. When you re-register on a new phone, you will be logged out on your old phone once re-registration is complete.
Note: If two-step verification is activated, you’ll receive a prompt to enter the PIN created when you set up 2FA verification. Your PIN is different from your 6-digit registration code.
Receive code on an old device
When you get a new phone, you can switch your WhatsApp account onto your new phone without receiving an SMS code.
If your phone number is eligible, you can verify it using your old device. WhatsApp will send a push notification to the old device that will provide the 6-digit code to enter in your new device.
If you don’t choose this option, you’ll be prompted to verify your phone number via SMS.
- Open WhatsApp on your new Android. Choose your language, then tap the green arrow button.
- On the Welcome screen, tap AGREE AND CONTINUE to accept the Terms of Service. Then, enter your phone number and tap NEXT. Confirm you’ve entered the correct phone number, tap OK.
- Check your old phone for the 6-digit code. Enter this 6-digit code on your new phone and tap OK. Note: If you're having trouble receiving the code on your old phone, you can choose to receive it via call, or in an SMS. Make sure to tap Need help getting a code? to choose an option.
Change to a new phone number
- Download WhatsApp on your new phone and register your new phone number.
- Delete the WhatsApp account associated with your old phone number.
If you forgot to delete your account associated with your old phone number and don’t have access to your old phone, all of your account information tied to that phone number will be deleted if the new owner of your old phone number activates WhatsApp on a new phone after 45 days of inactivity.
Note: If you give away or return your old phone to your mobile provider, make sure to wipe it of all your data beforehand, including the SD card if applicable. This ensures none of your private data, such as your WhatsApp chat history, will fall into someone else's hands.