Can’t move chats from an Android device to an iPhone
If you’re having issues moving your chats from an Android device to an iPhone, the most common reasons why are:
Check the list below before moving chats:
- Both devices are plugged in.
- Both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Your iPhone is a new one or factory reset.
- You’re using the same phone number on your old phone and new phone.
- Android 5 or above is installed on your Android device.
- iOS 15.5 or above is installed on your iPhone.
- Move to iOS app is installed on your Android device.
WhatsApp is already active on my iPhone
You can only move your chats before you’ve activated WhatsApp on your iPhone. If you want to retrieve your old chat history:
- Factory reset your iPhone.
- Reinstall WhatsApp on your Android device.
- Start a new transfer with the Move to iOS app on your Android device.
Note: You can’t merge new chats from your iPhone with old chats from your Android device.
My iPhone has a different phone number
It's not possible to move your chats to a new phone number. You first need to change your phone number on your Android device to your new number before moving chats to your iPhone. Learn how here.
If you receive the error message “Something went wrong,” unfortunately this means your chat history may be corrupted. You have the options to either Retry or Skip Import.
If you receive the error message “An unknown error occurred. Please try again later,” your chat history may be corrupted. We recommend restarting both phones and trying again.
If while moving your chats, importing stops before completion, you’re likely experiencing a connection error. Get help here.
If you’ve attempted to move your chats multiple times and are experiencing wait times for a verification code, there’s no way to speed up the process. You may be able to receive a code by email. Learn more here.
Can’t scan QR code or receiving Invalid QR code error
If you’re unable to scan the QR code, we recommend:
- Increasing your iPhone’s brightness to maximum.
- Cleaning your Android device’s camera.
- Checking that you’re scanning the correct QR code.
- Removing any screen protectors from your iPhone.
Move to iOS app force quit, failed, or canceled
Please contact Apple Support with issues using the Move to iOS app.
- Using any other apps to move chats isn’t supported and may cause loss of chats.
- You can’t move chats to or from the WhatsApp Business app using this feature.
- If the process completes successfully but not all chats were moved, unfortunately we are unable to retrieve them for you.