How to add or find contacts
You can quickly and easily identify which of your contacts use WhatsApp by accessing your phone's address book.
- Open WhatsApp and go to the Chats tab.
- Tap the New chat icon.
Alternatively, tap the You tab and select Contacts.
If you can't see your contacts, check the following:
- Your contacts are using WhatsApp.
- You’ve saved your contacts' phone numbers in your phone's address book. If they’re using a foreign phone number, use the full international format.
- You’ve allowed WhatsApp to access your phone's contacts in your phone's Settings app.
If you’d like to chat to someone you don’t have saved as a contact:
- Tap the Chats tab > New chat icon.
- Tap the Search icon and add the phone number in the Search name or number field.
- If the phone number is already using WhatsApp:
- Tap Chat to begin chatting. Note: To add this person as a contact, tap New Contact and fill in their details.
- If the phone number doesn’t use WhatsApp, tap Share Invite Link to invite the phone number to chat on WhatsApp.
Note: Creating, syncing and finding new contacts is only available on your primary phone.