How to save your chat history
Your WhatsApp chats are automatically backed up and saved daily to your phone's memory. Depending on your settings, you can also periodically back up your WhatsApp chats to Google Drive. If you uninstall WhatsApp from your phone, but don't want to lose any of your messages, be sure to manually back up your chats before uninstalling.
Back up chats
Go to WhatsApp > tap More options
> Settings > Chats > Chat backup > BACK UP.
Export chat history
You can use the export chat feature to export a copy of the chat history from an individual or group chat.
- Open the individual or group chat.
- Tap More options> More > Export chat.
- Choose whether to export with media or without media.
An email will be composed with your chat history attached as a .txt document.
- If you're in Germany, you might have to update WhatsApp before you can use the export chat feature.
- If you choose to attach media, the most recent media sent will be added as attachments.
- When exporting with media, you can send up to 10,000 latest messages. Without media, you can send 40,000 messages. These constraints are due to maximum email sizes.