How to play voice messages
Web and Desktop
Voice messages received on WhatsApp are downloaded automatically.
On received voice messages you'll see:
- A green microphone on voice messages you haven't played.
- A blue microphone on voice messages you've already played.
- A transcript of the voice message below Play. Only if the transcript is available and Transcription is On in WhatsApp Settings > Chats.
Play a voice message
- Tap Play to listen to voice messages you've sent or received.
- Listen to the message.
- Through your phone’s ear speaker: Hold the phone to your ear to hear the message.
- On speakerphone: Hold the phone away from your head to hear the message.
- Through your headphones: Voice messages will play through your headphones when they’re connected.
- While a message is playing, you can tap the 1x icon to increase the speed to 1.5x or 2x.
- You can also:
- Long press the dot located on the waveform, then
- Drag it to the timestamp of the message you want to start playing from.
- Voice messages will continue to play even if you go to another chat or group within WhatsApp.
- When you play a voice message and leave the chat, a mini player will appear at the top of your screen.
- You can pause, play, and close the voice message, or go back to the original chat.
- The voice message transcript will only appear on the recipient’s phone.
- You can't delete, edit, or copy and paste voice message transcripts.