About view once
You can send photos, voice messages, and videos that disappear from a chat after the recipient has opened them once.
Sending view once media and voice messages
You’ll need to select view once each time you want to send a view once photo, video or voice message. Read this article to find out how.
Once you send a view once photo, video, or voice message, you won’t be able to view it again.
To see if a recipient has opened a view once photo, video, or voice message, they’ll need to have read receipts turned on.
Any photos or videos you send won’t be saved to the recipient’s Photos or Gallery.
The recipient also can’t take a screenshot of anything you send using view once.
- Only send view once photos, videos, or voice messages to people you trust.
- Remember that there are other ways your view once media or voice message can be saved. For example, recipients can take a photo or video of your view once media with a camera or other device before it disappears.
- Encrypted media may be stored for a few weeks on WhatsApp’s servers after you’ve sent it.
- If a recipient chooses to report view once media, or voice messages, the media, or voice messages will be provided to WhatsApp. Find out more about reporting messages.
- If you or your recipient is using an Android device, view once voice message and view once message audio can be recorded using the native screen recorder.
About receiving view once media and voice messages
Once you receive a view once photo, video, or voice message, you’ll need to open it within 14 days of it being sent. Otherwise, it’ll expire from the chat.
You can’t forward, save, star, or share photos, voice messages, or videos that were sent or received with view once media enabled.
View once media and voice messages can be restored from backups if the message is unopened at the time of back up. If the photo, voice message, or video was opened, it won’t be included in the backup and can’t be restored.
You won’t be able to take a screenshot of any view once media you receive.