Can’t move chats from an iPhone to an Android device
If you’re having issues moving your chats from an iPhone to an Android device, the most common reasons why are:
Check the list below before moving chats:
- Both devices are plugged in.
- Both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Your Android device is a new one or factory reset.
- You’re using the same phone number on your old phone and new phone.
- Android 5 or above is installed on your Android device.
- iOS 15.5 or above is installed on your iPhone.
- A USB-C to Lightning cable is connected.
- If you’re moving to a Samsung device, the Samsung Smart Switch app must be installed.
- If you’re moving to a Google Pixel or Android device on OS 12 or above, Google's Data Restore Tool must be installed.
WhatsApp is already active on my new device
You can only move your chats before you’ve activated WhatsApp on your Android device. If you want to retrieve your old message history:
- Factory reset your Android device.
- Reinstall WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Start a new transfer.
Note: You can’t merge new chats from your Android device with old chats from your iPhone.
My Android device has a different phone number
It's not possible to move your chats to a new phone number. You’ll first need to change your phone number on your iPhone to your new number before moving chats to your Android device. Learn how here.
If you receive the error message “Something went wrong with your chat history,” unfortunately this means your chat history is corrupted and can’t be moved to your Android device.
If you receive the error message “Could not import,” your chat history may be corrupted, but you can retry the process.
If while moving your chats, importing stops before completion, you’re likely experiencing a connection error. Get help here.
If you’ve attempted to move your chats multiple times and are experiencing wait times for a verification code, there’s no way to speed up the process. You may be able to receive a code by email. Learn more here.
Samsung Smart Switch or Google’s Data Restore Tool force quit or failed
We’re unable to resolve issues with third party apps. Please contact Samsung or Google for support.
Can’t scan QR code
If you’re unable to scan the QR code, we recommend:
- Increasing your Android device’s brightness to maximum.
- Cleaning your iPhone’s camera.
- Checking that you’re scanning the correct QR code.
- Removing any screen protectors from your Android device.