About lost and stolen phones
If your phone was lost or stolen, there’s nothing we can do. We can’t deactivate your WhatsApp account because there’s no way we can verify that you’re the owner of the phone number associated with that account.
The fastest way to protect your account is to:
- Call your mobile provider as soon as possible and block your SIM card.
- Get a new SIM card with the same phone number and re-register it on WhatsApp on another phone.
Once you’ve re-registered your account, it will automatically be deactivated on the lost/stolen phone.
- We’re not able to help you locate your phone. Remote WhatsApp deactivation from another device is not possible.
- If you created a backup using Google Drive, iCloud or OneDrive before your phone went missing, you might be able to restore your chat history. Learn how to restore messages in this article.
When an account is deactivated
- The account isn't completely deleted.
- Your contacts can still see your profile.
- Your contacts can send you messages, which will remain in a pending state for up to 30 days.
- If you reactivate your account before it's deleted, you’ll receive any pending messages on your new phone. You’ll also remain in all of your group chats.
- If you don't activate your account within 30 days, it’ll be completely deleted.